Brunch could easily be considered America’s favorite meal. It’s as famous as a Spanish siesta, as hearty as an Ethiopian gursha, as delightful as a Hawaiian kalua. Though it’s only been a common practice in the United States since the 1930s, brunch is now ingrained in American culture as an opportunity to commune with friends — and an excuse to combine the savory, the sweet, and the slightly boozy all at once (and all well before 5 p.m.).
Brunch offers the timeless balance of good conversation and great flavors on a lazy Sunday afternoon. Imagine the sweet southern stylings of a warm bowl of shrimp and grits, the comforting bite of a New England crab cake wet with hollandaise sauce, the beauty of griddled French toast stuffed to the brim with cream cheese or a seasonal berry compote. Bacon, biscuits, and apple butters could easily make an appearance, as could a wild, pan-seared salmon with asparagus dressed in a warm sauce gribiche. There is no other meal that offers the food and flavor variety of brunch
Still, the main events may easily be handcrafted Blood Marys, champagne and fresh-squeezed juices, and other delicious cocktail concoctions. And as the drinks flow, so do the conversations, with a roomful of diners recounting their weekend adventures. The celebration is a familiar one in cities across the country — brunch is a uniquely American tradition cherished by people of all backgrounds.
And just when you thought brunch was already perfect, some of America’s most creative chefs gave it a new twist: CBD.
The CBD brunch craze took off in 2018, with restaurants including playful (but still delicious) ways to include CBD on their menus, from CBD pain au chocolate to pancakes to stylized salad dressings. The streets (and foodie magazines) were abuzz — until the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) announced it would be cracking down on CBD-infused foods and beverages in states where cannabis is not yet legal. So far the ban has been unevenly enforced, but it’s still been enough to put a damper on CBD restaurant offerings.
Fortunately, there are safe, effective ways to cook with CBD that’ll allow you to enjoy your infused-brunch favorites among friends at home. Perhaps a gentle nudge in the direction of the kitchen with a few of my favorite recipes would help?
GRILLED CAESAR SALAD
Yields 2 servings
- 2 oz can of anchovies, start with 10 fillets minced
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons of House of Spain EVOO CBD-infused olive oil
- Lemon zest of one whole lemon
- 2-3 tablespoons of lemon juice
- ½ cup of grapeseed oil
- ¼ teaspoon of blanched* then minced garlic (*blanching whole cloves lessens the bite of raw garlic)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 2 hearts of romaine lettuce (sliced)
- Blend together all ingredients except grapeseed oil. Once combined, slowly drizzle and whisk in grapeseed oil.
- Whisk until emulsified. Do not over-whisk or you will risk the danger of your dressing turning into mayonnaise — a very delicious mayonnaise, but a mayonnaise nonetheless. If the blend thickens, add more grapeseed oil until each reaches the desired consistency.
- Season to taste.
- Let rest for one hour, adjust seasoning.
- Brush dry, sliced, and seasoned hearts of romaine with olive oil.
- On medium-high heat, grill until a slight char forms on the surface, yet not so much that the entire heart wilts.
- Allow hearts to cool. Serve with dressing (add optional ingredients of croutons, red onion slithers, grilled chicken breast, or butter-poached shrimp).
SOFT SCRAMBLED EGGS WITH SAUTEED BROCCOLINI
Yields 4 servings
- 8 eggs
- 2 oz of infused buttermilk (reference recipe)
- 1 oz water
- Kosher salt to taste
- 1 lb broccolini
- 2 cloves garlic (minced fine)
- 1 tablespoon Pot d’Huile CBD-infused olive oil
- ⅛ tablespoon chili flakes
- ½ tablespoon butter
- 4 oz diced brie
- Beat eggs, buttermilk, and water until combined.
- In a medium-sized skillet add the Pot d’Huile and bring to a medium heat. Add garlic and sauté until soft.
- Add broccolini and chili flakes. Salt to taste. Cook until broccolini is al dente.
- Bring separate skillet to medium-high heat.
- Add ½ tablespoon of butter and 1 tablespoon of oil to the skillet. Add egg mixture and move gently with rubber spatula until scrambled soft.
- Portion evenly onto serving plates and add 1 ounce of brie per plate.
- To set, place into low temperature oven for 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Serve with garlic broccolini. Garnish with fresh cracked pepper.
Yields 6 servings
- ⅔ cup all purpose flour
- ⅓ cup bakers’ sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¾ cup ricotta cheese (drained)
- 3 eggs (separated)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- ¼ cup buttermilk (12.5 percent fat)
- 2 tablespoons water
- Luce Farms Vermont Hemp Honey
- In a large mixing bowl combine the dry ingredients of flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and salt. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl combine ricotta, egg yolks, vanilla bean paste, buttermilk, and water.
- Add to flour mixture and stir until smooth.
- In a clean bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks.
- Using rubber spatula, gently fold in ¼ of beaten egg whites into ricotta mixture. Then gently fold in the rest of the beaten egg whites.
- For each pancake, scoop ¼ cup batter onto oiled nonstick skillet. Turn when bubbles form at the top of each pancake and edges are golden.
- Serve with one ounce of Hemp Honey and seasonal fruit.
SPARKLING WATERMELON PEACH COCKTAIL
Yields 2 servings
- 2-3 wedges watermelon, muddled
- 2 peaches, muddled
- ½ cup prepared simple syrup
- 3 cups grapefruit juice (for freezing into ice cubes)
- 2 bottles of Sweet Reason grapefruit sparkling water
- 6 oz premium vodka
- balled watermelon and peach slices for garnish
- In an ice cube tray, pour grapefruit juice and freeze until solid cubes. Freeze serving glasses ahead of time for most refreshing results.
- When ready to serve, add 1-2 spoonfuls of muddled fruit into the bottom of each glass. Top each with 2 tablespoons of simple syrup, grapefruit ice cubes, then vodka. Fill the rest of the glass with Sweet Reason Sparkling Water.
- Top the glass with balled melon and peach slices. Enjoy!