If you’re one of the millions of Americans who’ve been caught up in the CBD skin care trend, making your own CBD-infused soap might be right up your alley. It’s a great way to give your skin some love and save a bundle of cash (CBD is not cheap, after all).
Without further ado, here’s why — and how — to add an infusion of CBD to your homemade soap.
It’s Good For Your Skin
One of the biggest benefits to using CBD soap is the anti-inflammatory effects that CBD oil can have on the skin. The skin can become inflamed for a number of reasons, causing it to become dry, itchy, and red. Skin inflammation can be chronic (caused by a recurring condition such as eczema or psoriasis) or acute (caused by temporary exposure to irritants like UV radiation, allergens, or harsh chemicals). Either way, it’s not much fun.
Skin inflammation can be quite painful and unsightly, so using a hand soap that has anti-inflammatory effects could be a great preventative measure to keep your hands feeling (and looking) great.
CBD has also been found by researchers to be a powerful antioxidant, which means it can significantly reduce the development of fine lines and wrinkles. Our hands tend to be one of the first body parts to show obvious signs of aging, so using a daily soap that slows down this process is a great way to add CBD to your anti-aging skin care routine.
It’s Good For The Planet
While some brands have embraced the “sustainable beauty movement” (which aims to reduce the amount of unnecessary product packaging and ensure that whatever’s left is recyclable), they’re still the exception to the rule. For most brands, catching the customer’s eye is more important than protecting the planet, even if that means putting a tiny tube of coconut oil lipstick in a big plastic coconut.
All this excess packaging is taking a severe toll on the world’s ecosystems. Every year only 9 percent of plastic is recycled, leaving the other 91 percent to clog up the world’s landfills — or, even worse, its oceans. It’s not sane, and it’s not sustainable: something has to change, and soon.
Making your own soap won’t singlehandedly save the environment, but it is the kind of small, mindful action that can snowball into a real social phenomenon (especially if you can get your friends and family to join you). Once they see — and feel — how great your homemade CBD soap is, it won’t be a hard sell.
How to Make CBD-Infused Soap for Beginners
If making your own CBD-infused soap sounds like your jam, this recipe adapted from author Sandra Hinchliffe of Posy & Kettle is a perfect one to get you started. After you’ve made a batch or two, you can start experimenting with different ratios and ingredients. Good luck, and have fun! Here’s What You Need:
Then, all you have to do is put the jars of soap in your refrigerator, and use them within 30 days.
It’s normal for homemade soap to have some “imperfections” in terms of color and texture — but don’t worry, there’s nothing wrong with your soap. It might look different than the stuff you buy at the supermarket, but that’s just because it wasn’t made by a robot on an assembly line. It will still work just as well as store-bought brands (or even better).
Making your own soap, whether CBD-infused or not, can be a great way to reduce your carbon footprint, give yourself a sense of accomplishment, and bring a bit of spontaneity and joy into your life. If you can do all that and get the health benefits of CBD skin care, then DIY soap-making sounds like a no-brainer.
How many bars of soap does this recipe make?